Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What is it like? ....to be Me!

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be a saleman Liars? Deceiving? Sharks? Untrusting! even statistics have put car salesman as third on the list for the most untrusted work status, just incase you're wondering second runner up are realestate agents and the top of the least are lawyers.
Previously i've worked for Estee Lauder, soft selling I called it. But i loved it! When I left the cosmetic counters and joined the car industry , what i wanted to take with me into this job is the "personal" touch . I remembered customers would just come in to buy a bottle of foundation, but I sat them down and did a quick makeover for them in just a couple of minutes, and their faces would lit when they see their own reflection in the mirror . those moments are worth the job!

I try to do the same in the car world, I want to help , I want the clients to be happy with what they've bought, I want them to feel "right" ! I get alot of comments from customers, "Wow i've never been served my a woman in a car yard before" .."what is it like to sell cars? " ... to me it is the same as selling any product! You are the buyer and me... well Im just assisting you with your purchase! I've seen mums, I've seen couples, young and old , I've dealt with all different sort of people ,from all different backgrounds and ethnics, some you get on like a house on fire, and some ...well ...you know just to back right off . But at the end of the day , you do your best to provide the best customer service . Service is important ,  there are thousands of hairdressers, thousands of restaurants , shops and more shops around the corner , everywhere!!, car yards and more car yards, everyone has the same product, its the service that makes the whole purchasing experience different! . That's what I want to achieve , I want to make that difference , change the perspective on salesman , we are not sharks , nor hungry lions waiting to pound on you as you walk into our yard .
It always suprise me when I greet the clients , they shook my hands yet you can tell they're unsure about it all.
Maybe they dont like car dealers but have got no choice but to step into one. or maybe, they were greeted by a female salesman which is pretty rare in this industry and so they are even more confused. As a saleman what do I do ? Smileeeeee ofcourse!!! After a few minutes most clients relax and just enjoy the experience. Its rewarding when clients turn around during the test drive or at some stages of it all and say " it's nice dealing with a female, it's not pushy" .....well ....like I said , Im here to assist you , to make your experience as enjoyable and pleasant as possible , and whether you decide to buy the car right there and then , it doesnt matter, or whether you come back the next day , or the next week , or you might found the car might not even suit you , It doesnt matter . I have clients whom sent thank you cards after they've picked up their brand new car, I have clients who hugged me and thanked me for selling them the car, I have clients whom brought in their puppy to visit me when they brought their car back for the services. I have an elderly lady whom I would catch up for coffee and she tells me about her endless trips overseas, I have a little girl that would run up to me for a cuddle everytime her mum brings her into the dealership, I appreciate those simple momments because I know they've trusted me , they've remembered me! and I do see some of them again quite soon for a matter of fact because they brought back their family and friends , they've even recommended me! I feel proud and happy of myself , because that tells me Im doing my job right,  doing what I've always believed in....Customer service ! THAT is what makes our dealership different to others ! :)

1 comment:

  1. a very different blog to others! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete